Would you like to shed your excess flab faster and more efficiently? If you’re trying get rid of this unsightly muffin top, you may want to try the natural Garcinia cambogia for weight loss.
What is Garcinia Cambogia?
This small, yellowish or reddish pumpkin-shaped fruit native to Indonesia is also known as Malabar tamarind although it bears no resemblance to the tamarind fruit. It is cultivated mostly in Southeast Asia, India and Africa and has been used in many traditional curry dishes and chutneys as a condiment as it is too bitter to be eaten straight off the tree. In Malaysian villages, Garcinia cambogia is added to soups and other recipes to make the meal more fulfilling. The fruit is also used for curing fish and to preserve foods.
Why is it popular?
Even though the properties of Garcinia cambogia for weight loss have been studied for more than 15 years, this garcinia fruit has become a rock star weight loss supplement only recently. Garcinia cambogia for weight loss has now become very popular thanks to its array of benefits:
- Garcinia cambogia for weight loss helps the body burn fat more effectively with relatively little effort needed from the person consuming the product.
- It is highly efficient at blunting food cravings and takes a serious edge off hunger feelings that often accompany weight loss efforts. By helping to curb appetite, the extract makes it easier to control food intake and make healthier dietary choices.
- Due to its mechanism of action (see below), the fruit’s extract provides terrific results for emotional eaters.
- The plant also appears to improve mood, reduce stress levels and ameliorate sleep patterns.
- The plant’s extract offers one of the least expensive supplements available on the market and is easily obtainable.
- Garcinia cambogia for weight loss is generally considered safe although people with existing chronic conditions may experience some side effects.
- The fruit’s extract is toxic only in extremely high doses.
How it works on weight loss
The key ‘agent’ behind the success of Garcinia cambogia for weight loss is a natural extract from the rind of the fruit, namely hydroxycitric acid (HCA). There are three ways in which HCA makes Garcinia cambogia successful for weight loss:
- Hydrocitric acid hinders the formation of adipose tissue (body fat). Usually, when we consume carbohydrates, the body breaks down these carbs into glucose (sugar) molecules that trigger the production of insulin. This hormone then carries some of the glucose from the digestion of carbohydrates into cells where it is used as energy and the excess glucose is stored as body fat. Since HCA helps lower blood glucose levels, less insulin is produced and hence, less glucose is stored as fat; hence explaining the terrific results of Garcinia cambogia for weight loss.
- Moreover, HCA blocks the pathway of citrate lyase, a key enzyme required by the body to ‘convert’ dietary carbohydrates into fat. By thwarting the action of citrate lyase, HCA halts the conversion of glucose into fat and promotes its storage as glycogen, an energy source found in the liver and muscle. When glucose is stored as glycogen, the process ‘signals’ the brain’s satiety center to suppress appetite. The production of bad LDL cholesterol and triglycerides also falls.
- HCA also increases serotonin levels in the brain — this initiates the satiety effect which suppresses appetite. Serotonin is a ‘feel-good’ neurotransmitter that regulates appetite, mood and sleep — low levels of serotonin have been associated with depression (which often causes emotional overeating) and insomnia. As you eat less, your body will start burning its stores of fat to provide energy to your cells.
By increasing serotonin levels, HCA can help overcome the need to eat when stressed out. As HCA indirectly improves sleep patterns, levels of the stress hormone cortisol in the body become stable: high levels of cortisol have been linked to weight gain.
- Scientists from the University of Exeter, United Kingdom, analyzed findings of 12 randomized trials investigating the efficacy of Garcinia cambogia for weight loss. These studies focused on HCA as the active component. In their review, published in the 2010 issue of the Journal of Obesity, the researchers stated that Garcinia cambogia can lead to short-term weight loss.
- A 12-week study published in the Journal of International Medical Research found that a 300mg extract of the fruit for weight loss was associated with significant weight reduction among obese participants. The control group was given a mixture of different herbs and lost only an average of 1.2kg whereas the subjects given Garcinia cambogia experienced an average weight loss of 3.5kg; 85 percent of this weight loss was due to a decrease in fat mass.
- In a research comprising of 60 overweight and obese women and men, scientists found that those participants who were taking Garcinia cambogia experienced more weight loss compared to the control group who were unknowingly taking a dummy supplement.
- According to a study published in the journal Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Garcinia cambogia appears to contribute to fat oxidation. The fruit was also shown to stimulate the production and availability of serotonin in the brain. In the same study, obese individuals taking Garcinia cambogia for weight loss experienced a decrease in serum leptin levels.
- In another study, researchers found that a supplement containing 3.3% Garcinia cambogia had the ability to enhance glucose metabolism and thus, better glycemic control. What this means is that the extract allows the body to regulate blood glucose levels by using a little insulin — low blood insulin levels mean that less glucose is stored as fat.
- Several studies have shown that Garcinia cambogia for weight loss suppresses the enzyme citrate lyase. When this happens, citrate cannot be broken down to oxalocitrate and Acetyl coenzyme A — when levels of Acetyl coenzyme A are low, excess carbohydrates cannot be converted into fat.
The recommended daily intake of Garcinia cambogia depends on the individual’s body weight and the type of diet consumed. 500mg to 1,500mg of the extract per day is generally considered to be risk free. Overweight and obese individuals, as well as those eating a diet rich in fiber such as vegetarians and vegans would benefit from doses at the higher end. That’s because lower dosages may be ineffective in people with excess body weight and it is believed that diets rich in fiber may hinder the absorption of Garcinia cambogia.
You may want to take one tablet containing 300 to 500mg of Garcinia cambogia three times per day, about 30 minutes before your main meal. Take the supplement with a glass of fresh water.
Garcinia Cambogia and its extract are considered to be safe for the general population. However, the use of this supplement is not recommended for pregnant women or nursing mothers. Individuals suffering from diabetes, impaired glucose tolerance, kidney diseases, liver disorders and other chronic health conditions should discuss with their healthcare practitioner before using the supplement. Individuals with a history of Alzheimer’s disease should avoid taking Garcinia Cambogia supplements as well.
Where to buy it
You can purchase supplements of Garcinia cambogia for weight loss from the following website:
Garcinia Cambogia 500mg from Garcinia Cambogia Select,
Click to visit the official website and Get special offer 50% OFF plus FREE bottle
After your first order of Garcinia Cambogia Select, you’ll automatically receive an exclusive free membership access to the website’s online fitness program where you will obtain an individualized exercise routine, meal plants, fitness tracking systems, and much more.