Garcinia Cambogia Fruit Extract For Weight Loss
In the world of weight loss supplements, Garcinia cambogia fruit extract is soaring in popularity these days. But what is it actually? Read on to know more about the origins of this extract and why it has become so popular lately.
The Garcinia cambogia fruit extract is obtained from the Garcinia cambogia fruit after it is dried in the sun for several days. This fruit is yellowish or reddish in color, is pumpkin-shaped and about the same size as an orange or a grapefruit. The main active ingredient of the extract is hydroxycitric acid (HCA) which is obtained from the rind of the fruit. The Garcinia cambogia fruit extract is tasteless and odourless and is not toxic unless consumed in excessively large amounts.
Garcinia cambogia is native to Indonesia but is also popular in Southeast Asia, India, as well as in Western and Central Africa. This exotic fruit which flourishes in damp forests has many names including gambooge, Malabar tamarind, assam fruit, brindleberry, brindall berry and kodumpuli.
Although Garcinia cambogia has become famous among the Western community only recently, this small bitter fruit has been used for thousands of years in Oriental countries. Being too bitter to be eaten straight off the tree, the Garcinia cambogia fruit is used as a spice in traditional curries and chutneys as a substitution for limes and tamarind. In Malaysia, villagers have traditionally added this sour fruit to the soup they consume as entrée in an attempt to make their meal for fulfilling and satisfying. Since Garcinia cambogia also has antibacterial properties, the ‘Colombo curing’, a commercial enterprise of fish preservation in Sri Lanka, uses the rind of the fruit for curing fish.
In Ayurvedic medicine and traditional medicine, Garcinia cambogia fruit extract is used as a purgative to loosen stools and treat constipation and as part of a detoxification and cleansing ‘program’.
Health benefits of Garcinia cambogia
Although Garcinia cambogia fruit extract is primarily utilized as a weight loss supplement, the truth is that this fruit comes with a host of health benefits:
Protects cardiovascular function
Research suggests that the extract of the Garcinia cambogia fruit extract may have cardio-protective properties as it can improve the lipid profile of an individual by lowering bad LDL cholesterol levels and triglyceride levels and improving good HDL cholesterol levels. Moreover, the extract also appears to control blood pressure.
Improves glucose metabolism
Garcinia cambogia has been shown to reduce blood glucose (sugar) levels and can thus reduce the risks of diseases associated with erratic blood glucose control such as impaired glucose tolerance or diabetes.
Enhances the metabolic rate
The metabolic rate, or metabolism, is the rate at which the body uses energy when at rest. Since Garcinia cambogia helps boost the metabolic rate, not only does it facilitate weight loss, but it also helps you feel more energetic throughout the day.
Helps control appetite
The hydroxycitric acid contained in the extract increases the production of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain. This not only suppresses appetite but it also helps you feel good — this reduces the likelihood that you’ll overeat because of stress or because you feel emotionally overwhelmed.
Impedes fat storage
Hydroxycitric acid impedes the storage of energy as fat tissue via three main mechanisms:
- By lowering blood glucose levels, HCA helps the body use only a little insulin — lower blood levels of insulin mean less glucose is stored as unsightly flab.
- HCA halts the conversion of glucose (produced from carbohydrate digestion) to fat by blocking the pathway of the enzyme citrate lyase.
- By suppressing appetite, HCA helps to limit food consumption which translates in fewer calories ingested and less stored as fat.
Boosts immune system
Garcinia cambogia is rich in vitamin C, a natural antioxidant that has been shown to offer some protection against the common flu. This vitamin also strengthens the body’s system of defence against bacterias and viruses.
Why Garcinia cambogia is so popular as a weight loss supplement
This Garcinia cambogia fruit extract has elicited the interest of many for several reasons:
- The extract is 100 percent natural and free of chemical additives that could lead to adverse reactions.
- It is perfectly safe to use and is risk free for individuals who do not suffer from chronic diseases. The extract is toxic only in excessively large dosages —amounts that are unlikely to be exceeded.
- The supplement is really effective in promoting weight loss; it even helps the body burn fat faster.
- It is easily available and can be purchased at an amazingly affordable price compared to other weight loss supplement.
- Because of its intrinsic properties, this supplement also improves mood, stress levels and indices natural sleep.
- The extract is a terrific appetite suppressing aid — it helps eliminate the hunger feelings that often impede weight loss.